Sunday, June 17, 2007

TAST French Knots
I love doing French Knots! This weeks stitch for Take a Stitch Tuesday is French Knots and while I haven't done a special sample I have found pictures of work where I have used them a lot. The first picture was a sample that I did for my C+G Level 2 - it was based on a picture of a starfish, embroidered in 2 thicknesses of variegated perle cotton and surrounded by kantha type quilting.


The second picture is the bag I made at the end of the C+G Level 2 course - much of the embroidery is French Knots in different types and weights of threads.


Recently I went on holiday to Normandy for a week - before I went I bought a pack of threads from the Fibre Factory along with some dyed scrim I then painted a piece of linen and created this freehand design - including of course, French Knots. The rest of the threads are couched down as they are too thick to use for stitching but give wonderful texture to the piece.


This last sample is one that I have done very recently - candlewicking - it will be made into a wallhanging along with some other blocks made using other techniques. I even made one of these blocks travelling through France doing French knots!

4 comments:

Françoise said...

They're all lovely, but I especially like the third one. It's so textural.

neki desu said...

All great samples, but my favorite is the third one.The combination of textures and colors is very effective.

neki desu

Juli said...

These are lovely! I like French Knots too. It was one of the first stitches I learned, and while I found it difficult at age 5 or 6, I really don't understand the dread that many stitchers approach them with!

Candi said...

Wow! Your work is gorgeous!!! It will be great taking Sharon's class with you.
HUGZ:)
Candi
http://candiseyecandy.blogspot.com.